Sunday, August 21, 2016

Pure Heart

Are you a horn honker?  Do you like to blow your car horn?  Boy, I don't.  When I was a teenager, it was the thing -- blow the horn when you passed a friend's house.  Living in the church parsonage, people blew at us all the time.  Mine was a corner bedroom, and I knew Bill's nightly [1973 Plymouth Road Runner] beep-beep by heart and could distinguish it from all others! 

 

Just like honking your car horn draws attention, so does our  actions.  Proverbs 21:2 puts what we do in proper perspective: "All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart."  Uh-oh!  My actions sometimes draw to me rather than to God, which leads me to consider my motives for what I do. My motives – now, that leads to the heart. I may fool people, but there's no fooling God – we don’t scam God!  The author of Proverbs, David's son Solomon, revealed his heart's desire to know wisdom beyond humanity, and God granted that to him.  His intense desire resulted in an action of eternal consequence and blessing to all of us.  Can you really comprehend how changed our lives would be if all of our motives were pure and honorable, and our actions were a direct result of those pure and honorable motives?  Can you imagine how much better we would be if our hearts were cleansed and made pure of our own self-righteousness?  Amazingly, no longer would we feel the need to pump ourselves up to some level or degree of blessed nobility, of self-worth.  Instead the purity of our hearts would do it all for us.  That would please God immensely! May all your "honking" today come from a heart fashioned after a holy and honorable God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home