Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Choose Your Flavor

Which do you choose – pleasure or misery?  On the surface, the choice is a no-brainer.  Our spirit, however, does not always reflect the better choice.  It amazes me how thoughtlessly I allow otherwise insignificant incidents to set the tone for the day or so quickly change joyful to joyless!  Addressing Believers, Peter wrote, “Finally, all [of you] should be of one and the same mind (united in spirit), sympathizing [with one another], loving [each other] as brethren [of one household], compassionate and courteous (tenderhearted and humble).”  (1 Peter 3:8)  It’s astounding how my own happiness often depends on the way other people bear themselves toward me. So much flavors my attitude: looks and tones of the morning rush, behavior of co-workers, whether people speak to or smile, mail-texts-calls I get. What about how I flavor the day for others?  Do I bring about pleasure or misery? George Merriam wrote, “Whether any particular day shall bring to you more of happiness or of suffering is largely beyond your power to determine. Whether each day of your life shall give happiness or suffering rests with yourself.”  To put it simply, choose your flavor of the day!

 

Make us of one heart and mind; courteous, pitiful, and kind;

Lowly, meek, in thought and word, altogether like our Lord. – Charles Wesley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home