Thursday, October 20, 2016

Good Ole Days

The “good ole days” is a relative term.  The good ole days for Mr. Bill included snorkeling every day in Turkey’s Sea of  Marmara, and buying a sack of pistachios for a quarter.  For me, they included an afternoon nap on a summer day with the attic fan on high generating a cool breeze through my  bedroom window.  With all due respect to earlier generations, the absence of indoor plumbing and air conditioning just doesn’t sound “good” to me … any ole day!

 

God made provision for man to leave behind the old days.  I’ve heard talk of therapists helping people work-through lingering  negative effects of the past using something called regression therapy.  I can’t talk much about this regression therapy but Scripture points sin-sick man to progressive therapy – the progression from an old life to a new life:  “To put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” (Ephesians 4:22-24).  Now, I must admit I have regressive thoughts each day – that old self doesn’t go quietly – nonetheless God’s Word and the Holy Spirit assure me because of Christ, I am a new  creation. I am not remade, not refashioned, not reincarnated but am a brand-spanking-new me!  “The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” (2 Corinthians 5:17).  If this also describes you, it’s why we both sing with confidence: “I once was lost but now am found -- Was blind but now I see.”  We know that we know that we know and these ARE the good ole days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home