Sunday, January 22, 2017

Find Him

Have you ever lost something, looked and looked for it, only to give up and claim it as lost-and-gone-forever?  So frustrating!  Many times I've done this, and at times recall deliberately putting it in a place I know is safe.  Then I wonder, "safe from whom?"  Don't answer that.

 

After reading MWB any length of time, you know one of my favorite theologians and writers is Charles H. Spurgeon.  I do not apologize!  The following passage is so rich, I must share it with you.  "Tell me where you lost the company of Christ, and I will tell you the most likely place to find Him. Have you lost Christ in the closet by restraining prayer? Then it is there you must seek and find Him. Did you lose Christ by sin? You will find Christ in no other way but by the giving up of the sin, and seeking by the Holy Spirit to mortify the member in which the lust doth dwell. Did you lose Christ by neglecting the Scriptures? You must find Christ in the Scriptures. It is a true proverb, 'Look for a thing where you dropped it, it is there.' So look for Christ where you lost Him, for He has not gone away."  Consider the most terrifying thing of being apart from and out of fellowship with Christ?  That terror for the Believer is to not even feel His absence!  Spurgeon describes one without Christ as "a sheep without its shepherd; like a tree without water at its roots."  The 17th Century hymn writer, Robert Robinson, reminds us how we are "prone to wander, Lord, I feel it – prone to leave the God I love."  These words should make every Child of God tremble: "I sought Him, but I found Him not." (Song of Solomon 3:1).  What comfort, what joy it is God promises to be found when we seek Him with the whole heart (Jeremiah 29:13).  Can’t you see the urgency of the psalmist when he says, "My soul followeth hard after Thee" (Psalm 63:8)?  It is truly a strenuous exercise to give ourselves up thoroughly to the search for the nearness of Christ Jesus; we must keep pressing toward Christ.  Deeper and deeper should we go!  Let me challenge you this weekend to find a quiet place, find quiet moments, and find Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home