Thursday, March 23, 2017

I Will

When you say “I will,” are you resolute?  Resolute – unyielding, firm, determined, staunch.  There’s no doubt of my intent when I use those words, but [shamefully] my actions do not always bear them out.  Let me tell you one thing: if you say “I will” to a child, you better be prepared to follow through!

 

David writes, “I will love Thee, O LORD, my strength.” (Psalm 18:1).  Those words are followed by some powerful statements about Jehovah – “The LORD is my rock … my fortress … my deliverer … my strength.”  Verse 1 alone sounds the adamancy of David's heart.  When he wrote these words, he was running from King Saul and his enemies were everywhere.  Nonetheless, David says "I will."  Christian discipline isn't spoken of much these days yet in the life of a follower of Christ, it is an urgent matter.  No one's coming to arrest you or take you away, but the forfeiture of spiritual blessings is massive.  One of our church musicians, Anna, just took 2nd Place at the NFAA Indoor Nationals.  After days, weeks, months, years of archery lessons and endless practice, she is experiencing positive results of discipline. Paul describes the fruits of God's Spirit in the Believer's life, "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law." (Galatians 5:22).  These fruits do not just appear nor do they surface by default.  Rather, they are a result of spiritual disciplines of prayer, study, meditation, and focused obedience to Christ.  A personal resolution of "I will" isn’t enough; "I will" becomes resolute only when we acknowledge "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13).  David knew his rock, fortress, deliverer and strength personally and knew for certain He would not, could not fail.  Hence, his song forever would be "I will love Thee, O Lord!"  Amen, amen and amen ... so be it Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home