Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Watchful

Memories of the days before each of my boys was born seem to become more and more vague.  I do remember the days before Danny’s arrival when I had a few weeks at home – just Scootz, my Pekingese and me – and I remember the restful leisure of those days, which soon ended.  Then Dennis and Dustin’s births -- the twins -- were scheduled but also were preceded with a short time of bed rest ordered by the doctor. Gee, that was 37 and 29 years ago – whew!  I guess it’s good I only have to remember two dates instead of three!

 

To the Church in Sardis, God said, “Be watchful …” (Revelation 3:2).  The Greek word watchful [ageiro], at its very root, means to arouse, arise, to stir up, give strict attention to.  In an ancient Greek city the agora was a designated place of public assembly for trials, public debates, buying, selling and such.  It was a place where people were watchful.  My family is officially on baby-watch, as we joyfully anticipate the arrival of Lucy Harper.  All phone volumes are set high and no phone is left unattended, eagerly listening for the call or text that she’s on her way! I wonder if, as Christians, we live in watchfulness.  Peter wrote, “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8). Are we alert (watchful) for the lion and its roar as we go through the day?  Continuing God’s warning to the Christians at Sardis, “Be watchful and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found thy works perfect before God.” Christian, beware of living by a name and not a principle of life! Matthew Henry says, "When we are off our watch, we lose ground." This brings to mind what my basketball coach yelled often, "don't loaf on defense". No wonder the Lord said "be watchful" - don't be caught sleeping when you should be watching. Watchfulness is a valid and good warning for Believers today!  Do not neglect those disciplines that help keep us in a state of readiness: prayer, study, meditation, fellowship.  My iPad is charged, my hospital baby-watch bag is packed, and I'm listening.  This is a serious call for all Christians – be watchful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home