Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Be Little

Chicken Little wasn't exactly happy with his "little" self.  Most people I know who are little (as in short) would not choose that height.  I am 5'8" and have never considered myself short nor especially tall, however, I find myself struggling to reach things shoved to the depths of my kitchen cabinets. It is, therefore, an especially happy time for me God has blessed me with guys-of-height.  G. Tersteegen wrote "how lovely it is to be nothing when God is all."  Most of us behave much too big for our britches, a particular bigness I heard about as a child.  Taking that attitude with my Granny was risky business and certain trouble with God. Getting taken down a notch or two by Granny's switch was also mild compared to God's lessons in humility.  Those lessons are necessary when we become wrapped up in me-myself-and-I and lose all usefulness to God -- quite a contrast to the humble example of Jesus Christ. Jeremiah 14:5 says, "Seekest thou great things for thyself? Seek them not." There are sweet blessings in littleness no matter what Chicken Little thinks.  Oh! Just ... be little!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home