Thursday, August 17, 2017

Today

As best I recall, Mr. Green’s afternoon Science class was boring except for those two minutes when Bill walked by the window headed to his driver’s education class.  It was actually the best two minutes of my day!  “A man of understanding sets skillful and godly Wisdom before his face, but the eyes of a [self-confident] fool are on the ends of the earth.” (Proverbs 17:24).  Too many [of us] live unto the future instead of the present, dreaming of how things might be more than how things really are.  While there’s certainly nothing wrong with planning for and preparing for the future, but how foolish to miss the beauty of the moment at hand.  If you’re watching hummingbirds feed – as Mr. Bill and I often do – you better be attentive or you miss those speedy little birds. The same could be said of our attentiveness to the present.  In their book, Wisdom of the Proverbs, Dan & Nancy Dick includes this beautiful prayer: Lord, bless this day, which is a precious gift from You. I thank You for every day that I live. Life is a wonderful gift, and one that I can never hope to repay. Take my life, and consecrate it to Your love.”   Amen & Amen … so be it, Lord.

 

While I admit I should have been more attentive to Mr. Green, little did I know in those two precious minutes, I was looking at my future.

Happy Anniversary, Mr. Bill.  It’s been 42 years of joy to call you husband and friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home