Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Times of Life

My Mom’s parents lived in the city; when I stayed OVERNIGHT with them, the night sounds of the city were very different than the frogs and crickets of home. Another distinct sound at Pop and Granny’s was the ticking of the wind-up clock that sat by their bedside. I remember well that sound of time ticking. In Ecclesiastes 3, King Solomon describes the seasons and times of life here: birth and death, destroying and healing, building up and tearing down, weeping and laughing, mourning and dancing, gathering and throwing away, embracing and rejecting, finding and losing, keeping and letting go, separation and togetherness, speaking and keeping silent, loving and hating, war and peace. (V.2-8). That covers every time of life, and of it all Solomon writes, “I have seen the task which God has given to the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.” (V.10).  I suggest it is good to hear and acknowledge the ticking of time and to acknowledge every moment, every experience, every circumstance is in the control of Sovereign God. Make no mistake, God isn’t the author of the world’s evil (that’s Satan’s work), however, God is the Author and Giver of Supreme Grace for each moment-experience-circumstance! To Paul with his personal affliction, God said,  “My Grace is sufficient for you.” (2 Corinthians 12:9).  Yes, I know the ticking of Pop’s clock would have been annoying to many, but as I recall that sound this older-me admits I’ve heard [and hear still] a lot of time ticking. I’m so glad the seasons and time of life are in the hand of The One Who “is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” (Colossians 1:17). I pray you take comfort in Christ with all your time of life.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home