Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Make It A Habit

Early in our marriage, I determined to be involved in things Mr Bill was – in particular, hunting. He promptly took me to a field to teach me how to hold and shoot a shotgun. Within a short time – and I mean a very short time – we both abandoned the idea I might be a hunter: I wounded a bird and cried, then almost shot his favorite hunting dog.  See, I really didn’t care to hunt but wanted to get-to-know my new husband by participating in the things he loved to do. How do we get to know God? “And this is how we know [by experience] that we have come to know Him [to understand Him and be more deeply acquainted with Him] if we habitually keep [focused on His precepts and obey] His commandments [teachings].” (1 John 2:2, AMP).  It’s not enough to just be called children of God – no, we need to know The Father intimately.  Intimacy is exactly what John writes “know Him.”  As a young bride I wanted to know all about what made Mr Bill “tick” – 44 years later, I’m still working on that.  We will never reach the depths of knowing God but as we draw near to Him through study and obedience, the relationship grows deeper and sweeter.  I truly believe we have no idea of all God wants to reveal to us, and oh what I’ve missed in my short lifetime!  I found other ways to spend time with Mr Bill but, truth is, to know God there’s no other way than to know His teachings and obey them … make it a habit!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home