Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Appreciate the Day

Everyone seems to have a morning routine. Part of ours here includes taking vitamin supplements - it's likely the healthiest thing we do for ourselves. The level at which we attempt to sustain our lives varies, however, this Truth remains: "Let me know how frail I am [how transient is my stay here]. Behold, You have made my days as [short as] hand widths, and my lifetime is as nothing in Your sight. Surely every man at his best is a mere breath [a wisp of smoke, a vapor that vanishes]!" (Psalm 39:4-5). As David considered his life, he also prayed, "let me appreciate the extent of my days" (V.4). We can rightly believe in our frailty, how transient we are, that our lives are mere wisps and vapors, yet fail to apply value to the days. Do we respect each day enough to spend it wisely? Or, are we like those "who make an uproar for nothing ... [building] up riches, not knowing who will receive them" (V.6)? One might say, much a-do about nothing? I suspect we spend too much of life's days self-absorbed, remembering wrongs, nursing bitterness, suppressing compassion and withholding kindness. Oh my, what a waste of time and resources! Paul encourages us to "redeem the time" (Ephesians 5:16) - make wise and sacred use of every opportunity for doing good in every way - mentally, physically, emotionally, socially, spiritually. What a way to live ... appreciate the day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home