Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Words of Truth

Do you ever seriously consider your words? My Dad was a wordsmith; he knew how to choose and use his words skillfully - it's one of the things I admired most about him. Truth is, we tend to use words so casually sometimes it's almost silly and [often] shamefuly. Among others in the Bible, David was one who skillfully penned what God said: "Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me! ... Say to my soul, 'I am your salvation!'" (Psalm 35:1, 3, ESV). We read these words and agree with David - God is our contender and our salvation YET we take up our own battles and contend for ourselves. Wait! Didn't we just agree with David's words, accept his words as our own - that it's The Lord Who asserts Himself for us? Indeed, let us consider our words! Jesus asked a pointed question: "Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?" (Luke 6:46). You see, our words are cheap - easily spoken - but our actions reflect the truest belief of our heart. David concludes his song with these words: "Let those who delight in my righteousness shout for joy and be glad and say evermore, 'Great is the Lord, Who delights in the welfare of His servant!' Then my tongue shall tell of Your righteousness and of Your praise all the day long." (V.27-28). David's words are neither silly nor shameful; they are neither casual nor careless. Let our words be ... words of truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home