Monday, May 27, 2024

Rightly Motivated

People are motivated by many things - literally, the list is endless. Motivation is not a bad thing although we are wise to give it seriously consideration. Jesus spoke of right motivation: "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (John 14:15, ESV). How's that for simple, clear, concise motivation! I've been accused of being a rule-follower; for sure, I've always preferred the joy of obedience over the unpleasant consequences of disobedience. Although God has given me His standards (measures of holiness), He has never insisted I obey them. However, because I know He loves me, I want to love Him back and be in close relationship with Him. Therein is the greatest motivation to obey: my love for God. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10, ESV). There is an immeasurable degree of peace, rest and freedom in doing so! I'm not offended by being counted among the "rule keepers" - those who choose to follow God's commands, to walk boldly and confidently in His Spirit, to enjoy rest in the grace He has secured for me through the cross. Rightly motivated by love for Jesus, I obey - it's my ... greatest joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home