Thursday, July 11, 2024

Eat That Elephant

It's been said the way you "eat an elephant" is "one bite at a time." This, of course, is a humorous metaphor for tackling a large and [seemingly] overwhelming task. One of my favorite verses in all of Scripture contains a phrase so relevant for today: "For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the LORD and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel." (Ezra 7:10, NASB). Can't you hear the determination as Ezra "set his heart!" One translation says Ezra "firmly resolved." I suggest there are few things in the Believers' spiritual lives that are rightly described as a firm resolution. Why do you suppose? Paul gives us the answer: "For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate." (Romans 7:14-15, NASB). Quite frankly, the old pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstrap method of living an obedient life unto Christ - well, it just doesn't work! What Paul describes in this passage is the ongoing conflict between two natures: the old [sinful] nature and the new [righteous] nature. And, make no mistake: it is serious conflict! The good and refreshing news goes like this: "Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (V.24). It is Jesus Christ Who gives us power and strength to overcome the old nature, simultaneously freeing us to live unto obedience and righteousness. That's how Ezra did it, and that's how we do it! Whatever your "elephant" might be, he is one small thing compared to what we are in-and-because of Christ. Set your heart on Him and ... eat that elephant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home