Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Let Him Sleep

Although I don't recall seeing it, I found the movie title intriguing: Grumpy Old Men. We often joke about the bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous nature of people, which may or may not be associated with seniors. King Solomon wrote, "Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble." (Proverbs 21:23). Sometimes it's not just words though; it can be our faces that convey our grumpiness. James warns us that "the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God" (1:20). Shedding an irritable spirit isn't so easy so how is it possible?  There is a simply formula:  HE>I … "He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30). A simple formula but it is not easy yet more-of-Him and less-of-me improves everything!  As God's "chosen ones, holy and beloved," we are to surrender this sinful nature and put-on His Nature: "compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience." (Colossians 3:12). Hearts full of this spiritual fruit keeps us out of trouble!  I recall a backdoor sign that read, "Sometimes I wake up grumpy and sometimes I let him sleep."  In the life Jesus' followers, there's no place for a bad temperament - only a bubbling-over of a Godly heart, one fixed and centered Christ.  The next time grumpy threatens, in the power of Jesus Christ ... let him sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home