Monday, August 30, 2010

Oil For the Lamp

My car, as most, has a mechanism that lets me know when the oil level is low.  I think it even makes a dinging sound, but that could mean I’m low on fuel or the washer fluid needs refilling or there’s a door open or I’m not buckled up.  Oh, my!  Thankfully, I have male-people at my house to interpret the dings!

What’s your oil level?  Oh, I don’t mean is your skin or hair oily but rather does your soul’s lamp have sufficient oil for Christ’s light to shine?  Consider how the lamps in Israel’s tabernacle required fresh oil to burn brightly (Exodus 25:6).  Have we forgotten the soul of man is needy?  First and foremost, the soul exists in a depraved condition requiring spiritual birth, coming only through the Savior, Jesus Christ.  Then, the regenerated soul has need of the “oil of gospel grace … pure and free … hence the light which is fed thereon is clear and bright.” To put this plainly: to effectively shine for Christ, we need oil for the lamp.  I fear many otherwise brightly-shining lives are instead dinging, “My lamp’s gone out!”  And, is it any wonder when the lamps are empty!  Spurgeon continues, “True holiness, joy, knowledge, love, these are all beams of the sacred light, but we cannot give them forth unless in private we receive oil from God … “  It is true, I do rely on the dinging in my car to warn me of low levels of “stuff.”  God is not negligent in speaking: let us pay attention – be still, seek and hear Him.  He anxiously waits to fill our lamps to shine brightly for Him.

Dear Lord,
Empty and cleanse, filling me with Your holiness.  Make me an effective light for You today.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home