Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Invincible

Tarzan adventures were a childhood favorite of mine.  I remember wishing I could swing from tree-to-tree but never figured out how to do that in Georgia pines.

Our God is invincible!  I am evermore amazed how my circumstances can convince me otherwise.  A change in anticipated plans quickly breeds anger-resentment-bitterness-cynicism then joy is swallowed up in disappointment.  I find myself crying with the psalmist, “Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.” (Psalm 69:1-2)  The why’s of this life don’t always have an answer, and truthfully, they need none.  Imagine the bitter disappointment of King David, driven from his kingdom by Abimelech, yet he wrote, “I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.” (Psalm 34:1-2)  I remember watching Tarzan fall into quick sand and one of his trusty animals toss him a vine, which he used to pull himself to safety.  Jesus described Himself as the True Vine and spoke how we live unshakable in this life: “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” (15:5)  We may never swing from tree-to-tree but when we choose to abide (remain, live) in Christ, we face everything in the invincible power of Almighty God.  Live invincible!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home