Monday, February 20, 2012

Never Dry

When’s the last time you had dry-mouth? Some medications, I know, will leave your mouth dry.  I’ve heard it called cotton-mouth, so dry you can’t work up a spit!  Now, that’s dry!

We’ve certainly known drought, when rainfall is so scarce gardens wither and fail.  I have an idea, however, when David wrote Psalm 63:1 he was thinking more about the severe lack of water in the Judean wilderness.  ". . . my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water."  I've visited that part of Israel and seen the scarcity of water.  As a shepherd (caretaker of sheep), water was a daily concern of David’s.  He also knew times of spiritual drought, that deep longing soul-thirst?  Have you ever drank from a metal dipper?  Wow, that water tastes good but soon the dipper is empty and needs refilling.  The Filling God offers our souls is different; It fully satisfies and is all-sustaining.  Matthew Henry wrote this: "The true believer is convinced, that nothing in this sinful world can satisfy the wants and desires of his immortal soul; he expects his happiness from God, as his portion. When faith and hope are most in exercise, the world appears a weary desert ... "  Can you imagine facing each new day with a soul that is never thirsty  A life so filled with the Truth of Living Water, Eternal Hope (confident expectation) the soul is never empty – parched – singed, longing for more?  The life soaked in the beauty and richness of  Jesus Christ is such!  Hence, we can proclaim with David, “Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in Thy Name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise Thee with joyful lips.” (63:4-5)  The lips of the righteous are never dry or empty of praise because the soul is never parched!  No, never dry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home