Wednesday, March 14, 2012

No Shame

Shameful moments – oh, how we’d love to erase those from our history.  Times when we’ve acted completely irrationally, causing a scene!  Mr. Bill paid quite a price for one of my most shameful moments.  Many years ago I yelled something [benign], although loud, at the umpire then I calmly sat down.  When the umpire turned around, there stood Mr. Bill [all alone] so the umpire threw him out of the ballpark.  Good trick, huh?

The Psalmist must have known something of shame, and he knew one action that would never bring him shame.  “In You, O LORD, do I put my trust and seek refuge; let me never be put to shame or [have my hope in You] disappointed; deliver me in Your righteousness!” (31:1, Amplified)  It’s believed David wrote this psalm when he was on-the-run from Saul, perhaps even after some narrow escapes.  As you read the chapter, David doesn’t fail to make the case for his miserable situation but he never strays far from his trust in God.  In the LORD, we’re never disappointed nor do we risk a shameful moment.  How many times have we found ourselves pacing-sweating-anxious when just in [God’s] time, our spirits feel the tender rescue of His Presence.  Those are the times I’m certain I hear Gomer Pyle say, “Shame! Shame! Shame!” And, honestly, shame is exactly what I feel – shame I didn’t trust the LORD!  Let us avoid shameful disappointment – trust the LORD, and know no shame!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home