Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Handshake

It was another generation, but I heard my grandfather speak of it: “in those days, a man’s word was worth something.”  Imagine buying lumber to build a house or even purchasing a car with a nod of the head or a handshake.  Wow … and oh, the trees we would’ve saved!

 

Psalm 119:41-42 says, “Let Your steadfast love come to me, O LORD, Your salvation according to Your Promise; then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me, for I trust in Your word.”  Perhaps gone are the days when [generally speaking] a promise was a promise.  Mr. Bill wasn’t interested in renewing our wedding vows at 25 years; his reason, “I haven’t broken the one I made 25 years ago.”  God never breaks a promise, and His promises never have to be renewed – He’s never failed to keep each one.  We, however, need to be reminded over and over that He is totally trustworthy.  The reoccurring theme of Psalm 119 is the genuine experience of God’s grace and mercy to those who love and fear Him.  There’s nothing wrong with revisiting His Promises to strengthen our hearts and renew our faith.  Don’t you like a good, firm handshake?  That moment of faith in Who He is and What He has promised is the “handshake” with Jehovah God.  There’s no firmer or steadfast word!  Try Him and He’ll prove it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home