Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sweet Life

Have you ever gone in search of treasure?  Some do using a metal detector, some like panning for gold, and others find antiquing a way to find treasures.  Me, I'm usually content with a quick scan of "Today's Deals" on Amazon.

 

Being overtaken by something isn’t usually good.  I’ve been overtaken by ocean waves – that was a salt-spitting event; I was overtaken by a state patrol once who seemed certain I was exceeding the speed limit – that was a costly experience.  My pastor challenged us to read Deuteronomy 28, and here’s how it begins: “And if you faithfully obey the Voice of the LORD your God, being careful to do all His commandments that I command you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the Voice of the LORD your God." (V.1-2). Verses 3-14 detail the blessings that will overtake the one who walks in obedience.  When I was overtaken by the ocean waves, they swept me off my feet, washed and rolled over me [what seemed] relentlessly.  These blessings of God are reserved for those who obey God’s commands, and the treasures just keep coming - and coming - and coming - and coming ... no end to His Goodness!  It is careless, however, if we fail to acknowledge the curses of God described (in detail) in Verses 15-68 on those who are disobedient to God's commands. For those of us not mathematically-inclined, that's 14 verses of blessings and 54 verses of curses! An obedient life doesn't kinda-sorta-maybe produce unexpected treasures, rather "The Lord shall open to you His good treasury" (V.12).  That's a guarantee of a treasured life – a sweet life of promise from the Supreme Treasurer of the Ultimate Treasury! Let us walk wisely -- obediently … and enjoy the Sweet Life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home