Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Expectant Living

Do you know anyone who is "expecting?"  Since that term isn't used much anymore in the context of pregnancy, the younger generation might wonder: expecting what?

 

Those who have an accurate understanding of God live in expectancy.  We may try to crowd God out of the day's plans, but do not be so foolish -- He isn't threatened!  I am currently learning to give God workspace, or as Oswald Chambers says it, allow God “elbow room.”  Although I understand the implied meaning, I’m not particularly fond of the phrase “God works in mysterious ways.”  It's true, of course, we live with a very limited view of life, which may seem mysterious, but there’s nothing unusual or surprising about God.  His ways and timing are as certain and sure as His Nature.  If we are caught off-guard or blindsided by God, we have failed to comprehend Who He is as He has revealed Himself through His Son and is ever revealing and leading by His Spirit.  All our best estimations and calculations will not preempt the divine work of the Holy Spirit!  So how do we make room for God to work?  Psalm 62:5 says, "For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him." The psalmist does not write of a boring wait, rather one that is filled with confident expectation and anticipation God will act as He wills and pleases.  What a challenge to clear my agenda, my playbook, allowing God both time and “elbow room” to develop and complete His purpose in my life.  It’s scary at times, but I’m learning to live expectantly.  How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home