Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Unchanged

Trust me, today is not a good day to look at old photographs!  This old me has changed quite a bit over 59 years!   Gee, sometimes I don’t even recognize me.  I’m sure of who I am, however, because when I voted this week, one look at my driver’s license it was confirmed … I am me.

 

We know very little about Malachi, last of the minor prophets, but he penned one of the most profound truths -- and, yes, there are many -- in Scripture: "I the LORD do not change." (3:6).  I'm not sure any of us can fully comprehend the magnitude of this statement.  The older me appreciates consistency and it's especially nice when I can maintain it.  Of course, I cannot always do that.  The one consistency in this life is change. What an oxymoron: constant change.  Malachi doesn't mince words or leave room for debate; no, he makes it quite clear that Jehovah God doesn't change - He is  constantly unchanging.  Do you realize when we drift off into sleep each night our heart rate changes, our breathing changes, our clocks change, the moon changes, the position of the earth changes -- we are surrounded by changes.  It's a wonder we recognize anything about the new day!  The lone Constant and Unchanged, however, is God.  All He was yesterday -- holy, patient, kind, loving, gracious, faithful, infinite, all-knowing, all-present -- He is in the new day and will be in every day thereafter.  He doesn't wake up in a bad mood, tired and put out with us over our repeated failures.  No, He doesn't sleep nor slumber; and, throughout the night-of-changes, He continued, He remained.  It's what He does because it's what He is!  In this world-gone-mad this one truth is enough to make the new day a good one, a day to sing, a day to smile, a day to love, a day to serve, a day to pray, a day to tell someone about this God unchanged.  What cha think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home