Wednesday, August 14, 2019

No Floating

Next to swinging and sitting on the beach, I love to float.  Years ago, Mr Bill & I spent a weekend at the lake.  While he managed 3 fishing rods, I occupied a float in the water.  I tried to stay pretty close to the dock [and away from his fishing lines] but as I dozed in the warm sun ... I drifted.  The sound of Mr Bill's voice woke me, "You gonna catch a ride back?"  To my surprise, I was quite a ways from the dock!  Sure was glad he didn't hook me and reel me in!  There's no room for spiritual floating in the Believer’s life!  We must be always mindful (attentive, conscious, watchful, alert) to the things of God.  Beware! righteousness does not come naturally!  The Apostle Peter warned the Christians of Asia Minor about the poisons of false teachings.  The Truth of the Gospel was being tainted, and Peter reminded the Christians to be ever mindful of the "exceeding great and precious promises." (2 Peter 1:4)  When we nod-off or drift, we will certainly find the foundations of spiritual truth replaced with imitations -- moral living, good deeds, warm fuzzy feelings, do-it-yourself strengths. There is an antitoxin, a counteragent to Satan's many deceits – “add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge self-control; and to self-control endurance; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness love." (v.5-7).  Peter didn't miss a thing -- it's all there to help us face this merciless, unkind, poisonous world in which we live, work, and play. Holding tightly to and embracing the commands of Christ help us recognize Truth and identify what is NOT [Truth].  Pay attention, and remember … no floating!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home