Thursday, January 9, 2020

Enjoyment

It’s crazy how much fun do-nothing can be! Mr Bill and I just returned from a few days of do-nothing at our favorite doesn’t-seem-like-it bed and breakfast. Our do-nothing days consisted of him fishing and me sitting on the terrace with coffee. One of the greatest questions one can ponder is “what is the chief end of man?”  Along with glorifying God  (1 Corinthians 10:31), the psalmist proposes, “Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and portion forever.” (Psalm 73:25-26). The “forever” usually propels us into eternity-thinking but [for Believers], forever has already begun. Yes, of course, for those who have been justified (saved) by faith, there awaits post-earth eternity of “enjoying God.” However, we can – and should – enjoy God right now through a close-personal relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ. As I sat on the terrace, I thought about how “good” life was at just that moment – and I thanked God for that. But life isn’t generally spent in beautiful places doing otherwise wonderful things; sometimes it’s night-time tears, hospitals or cancer clinics, frantic fear about our children, job loss or wondering where the money will come from gas or groceries. Nonetheless, a relationship with Christ offers enjoyment [yes] even in these less-than-good times. Why? Because God through Christ is our Portion – all we need when needs seem many and hope seem slim. Once home and tugged into our own bed, we commented “there really is no place like home.” Oh, how wonderfully true that is: one day Believers will be at-home in Heaven where no sorrow-tears-loss-fear exist. No, we’ll have a new and forever sense of what real enjoyment is. Until then, however, let’s work on that relationship with Christ and enjoy Him here and now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home