Thursday, April 23, 2020

Pleasure Ground

One of my favorites as a girl was Rogers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella."  The castle, ballroom dancing, king and queen, the prince ... oh, yes - the prince!  I suggest [as Believers] we fail to consider The Throne of Almighty God. One Puritan prayed says, "Thy throne of grace is the pleasure ground of my soul." It seems we find our "pleasure grounds" in much more unsubstantial and shallow waters. Let's not forget Isaiah's glimpse into God's throne room: "In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple ... and the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." (Isaiah 6:1, 4-5). Perhaps the great tragedy among God's People is our loss to recognize and acknowledge the Greatest of our King; hence, the passion for other pleasure grounds of the soul. Well, what Isaiah reported of The Throne Room remains true. "A glorious throne set on high from the beginning is the place of our sanctuary. O LORD." (Jeremiah 17:12). Let's settle, be still, know God Who longs to inhabit the hearts and praise of His People. Yes, let's find the soul's pleasure in The King.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home