Monday, January 18, 2021

Ready to Rest

A common question I hear is "did you rest well?".  The older me finds the answer to be relative to a few things: if my feet were warm; how much I drank after 6:00; and, oh yes, the full moon. Charles Spurgeon beautifully describes affects of the world on our best joys: "my fair flowers fade; my dainty cups are drained to dregs; my sweetest birds fall before Death's arrows; my most pleasant days are shadowed into nights."  Writing of the Believer's rest in Hebrews 4:1, the writer of Hebrews makes clear we come short of it in this life. For those who have put their trust in Christ, genuine-lasting rest is to come: "There remaineth therefore a rest to the People of God." (V.9). When we consider rest, we naturally think of respite from weariness, fatigue, labor; eternal rest will indeed be lacking these earthly considerations, but their absence will be because of The Presence of Him Who dwells in absolute Perfection. There is no accurate imagination of what God has planned for the Believer's eternal rest: "No man has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him." (2 Corinthians 2:9). Most importantly, the promise of genuine-eternal rest to come is relative to if you have made yourself ready by accepting God's Gift of Salvation through His Son, Jesus Christ. My prayer is that you are ... ready to rest.     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home