Sunday, June 20, 2021

Question of Devotion

Devotion is an honorable thing; that is, if the devotion is pure. For example, I love the water and since swimming is great exercise I will devote myself to swimming. The question is this: do I swim for exercise (that which is good for me) or do I swim because I like the water (that which I like to do)? Jesus questioned Simon Peter, asking him three times "do you love Me?"; and, three times Peter answered "yes." Jesus then challenged Peter to prove his devotion: "Tend [feed, shepherd] My sheep." (John 21:15-17). See, if I swim only because I love the water, like anything else, I will soon tire of it. However, if I swim because I am solely devoted to doing what is good for my health, that is the purest of devotion. The danger for Believers is that we are too often devoted to what we're devoted to rather than purely devoted Christ - The One Who has called us to do His will. While on earth Jesus healed the sick, fed the hungry, encouraged the weary but He was always first committed to doing the Will of The Father. The Believer who is fixated altogether wholly on Jesus will be in selfless and tireless devotion to The Will of Christ. Furthermore, the Believer will truly love and never tire of loving his-her devotion! Consider then: to what or whom am I devoted? It's a question of devotion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home