Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Lofty Living

Lofty heights are appealing. I've stood in a few places of great heights and, I must admit, the view was spectacular. We sure do have lofty thoughts of ourselves; we may not put those thoughts into words but how we live spells-it-out plainly. The Puritan puts it like this: "When Thou wouldst guide me, I control myself - When Thou wouldst be sovereign, I rule myself - When Thou wouldst take care of me, I suffice myself - When I should depend on Thy providing, I supply myself - When I should submit to Thy providence, I follow my will - When I should study love, honour, trust Thee, I serve myself." Oh, how we need to climb-down off our self-proclaimed throne and allow The One Who is All-Sufficient take His rightful place. God said He "opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6). It's true, we may anticipate the ascent to heights but the descent surely comes, and can prove treacherous. Be spiritually wise and avoid ... lofty living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home