Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Risk

Big or small, a business venture has certain risks.  Several years ago, at my usual pace to get home, I passed a lemonade stand on our rural county road.  I did a double-take to make sure I saw what I saw!  Sure enough, two children had set-up-shop at the edge of their yard.  Of course, my inclination was to turn the car around and buy lemonade then reality set in -- I didn’t have even have the coins to buy a glass!

The Gospel according to Luke, a Gentile physician and companion of Paul, isn’t just some manner of scribbling.   ”Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word, it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught.” (Luke 1:1-4)  I cannot tell you the many times I have jotted down an otherwise important note only to lose it, and subsequently, it seems little is really lost.  Oh, not so with what Luke recorded: he wrote of events in which our Hope is rooted, and shared eyewitness accounts of men whose understanding was perfected by Divine inspiration. Luke did not risk time, talent, or ink upon some frivolous meandering of word. No, there is no hesitation that “the doctrine of Christ is what the wisest and best of men have ventured their souls upon with confidence and satisfaction.” (Matthew Henry)  Those sweet children must certainly have pondered how much lemonade to made, weighing it carefully against the number of passing cars [such as mine] that would barely notice the business venture, or how many persons [like myself] would be penniless!  Know this: God foreknew mankind’s response to His Salvation for our souls. Yes, He counted the cost yet deemed us precious enough to be made righteous in His Son, Jesus Christ.  Guilty and penniless we were to pay the price!  As Luke records, the blameless Lamb of God arrived in Bethlehem with all the riches of Heaven to confidently satisfy our sin-debt. In Him, therefore, there is no risk at all!

Dear Lord,
I exalt Your Name for the ever faithful truth of Your Word.  Thank You for inspiration and preservation of Your holy words.  Burn it deep within me, ever changing me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home