Friday, January 7, 2011

The Secret

As much as I don’t like rising early, there really is no better time to meet The Father than when the world is still sleeping ... only the intermittent sound of central heat, the hum of the refrigerator, and the ticking of an alarm clock.  At that time I imagine how He's been looking down upon me while I slept, and lovingly waits for those quiet moments with me.  Bishop Ralph S. Cushman wrote it beautifully:

"The Secret"
I met God in the morning when my day was at its best,
And his presence came like sunrise, like a glory in my breast.
All day long the Presence lingered, all day long he stayed with me,
And we sailed in perfect calmness o'er a very troubled sea.
Other ships were blown and battered, other ships were sore distressed,
But the winds that seemed to drive them brought us to a peace and rest.
Then I thought of other mornings with a keen remorse of mind,
When I too had loosed the moorings, with the Presence left behind.
So I think I know the secret, learned from many a troubled way:
You must seek him in the morning if you want him through the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home