Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Real Retirement

Most people I know anticipate that  sweet season of life when they will retire from a daily grind: no more morning alarms, rush-hour traffic, time clocks, lunch box surprises. Then, again, some of the busiest people I know are … retired!

From Kingdom-Work, there’s no such thing as retirement! Hebrews 10:24 says, "And let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up to love and helpful deeds and noble activities." See, there’s no reference to an off-season, rather an unending use of our spiritual gifts and a continual faithfulness to Christ in this life. Oswald Chambers writes, "The real danger in spiritual laziness is that we do not want to be stirred up - all we want to hear about is a spiritual retirement from the world."  It’s sad to see Christians who embrace the attitude they’ve done their time thus declare themselves spiritual retirees!  The Apostle Peter warns, "I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder." (1 Peter 1:13)  Senior Saints inspire me – they have so much wisdom to share; fine-tuned spiritual gifts to encourage us all.  Pastor Tim reminded us a few weeks ago: if we’re going be busy, let’s be busy for the LORD!  That’s right, when I lay my head on my pillow at night, let my weariness be a result of wide-open service for Christ!  May we always remember -- the only real retirement is... out of THIS world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home