Friday, October 5, 2012

Enduring Faith

In the summer of 2001, my sister Debbie & I saw a Russian Circus, and trapeze artists were part of the show. I've always found their performances thrilling and exhilarating. Of course, the huge safety net eliminates a great deal of anxiety for those watching ... and those performing!

Is your faith an escaping one or an enduring one? We are guilty of using our faith like a fire escape, depending on it to get us out of the heat. When we're in trouble, we deliberately pray more and lean more heavily on God. When we can't make sense of the trials, we brazenly approach God almost demanding to know as much as He does. Consider Job's approach to Almighty God, "Have I sinned? What have I done to You, O Watcher of men? Why have You set me as Your target, so that I am a burden to myself?" (Job 7:19-20) That's whining with boldness, don't you think? It's okay, because God had both barrels loaded with the perfect Divine response: "Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question YOU, and you will answer ME. Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? To what were its  foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" (38:3-7) On and on The Creator and Father of the universe continued to question Job as He plainly laid it out for Job ... and lays it out for us. He is God ... in Whom we trust with our very lives. He owes us no explanation of His Ways to us, nor is it necessary we understand all His ways -- only trust Him. I tell my children -- "obedience without understanding." That is enduring faith -- faith that endures the tough times and is obedient through the times when we’re blinded by life's dark moments. When we apply faith which endures, we grow in wisdom and in character. On the brighter side of those perilous times, we discover a more refined faith -- faith made stronger and more stable. Therein lies the answers and the blind obedience makes perfect sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home