Friday, February 1, 2013

Roar Not!

“I am woman, hear me roar,” sang Helen Reddy. Although short lived, her song “I Am Woman” was #1 on the music charts in 1972. Yes, of course, I remember singing with her but the older-me sings a new tune -- “I am woman – hear me snore!”

God’s Word may not say it exactly like this, but “roaring is for lions.” Have you ever had one of those “roaring” days? Days when all you seem to do is snip-snap-spit-and-spew! Mercy on those who get in your way! God, through the psalmist, lays out the way to a mighty spirit: “As for me, I am poor and needy, but the LORD takes thought for me. You are my Help and my Deliverer; do not delay, O my God!” (Psalm 40:17). I’m not sure when we learned to roar at the world, but even my sweet Ella can make the sound of a lion – of course, hers is sweet to the ears! Only when we give up do we win; when we surrender are we victorious; when we are humbled are we mighty in spirit. It’s hard to admit our spiritual poverty, but the riches of Christ empower us to magnify the LORD (V.16). Snore, if you must, but leave the roaring to the lions. Be mighty only in His Spirit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home