Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Deliberate Worship

When does singing become noise? That answer is most likely relative to whomever is listening. I’m fairly certain, however, singing becomes noise right before it becomes to racket!

Jehovah God had some pretty stern things to say about empty worship: “Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen.” (Amos 5:23). We may think we are not ritualistic people, but think again! Consider the number of things we do with little-to-no thought. I recall middle-of-the-night feedings for the twins -- almost with my eyes closed, I could warm two bottles, feed and burp two babies, kiss and tuck them in, then I’m back to bed. Sometimes I’d wake up later and wonder, “did I feed the boys?” The worship of God in Amos’ day had become empty, heartless, and no longer pleasing to God. He didn’t even want to smell [their incense] or hear [their songs]. Can’t we see ourselves in this? God demands worship that flows forth from “… righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.” (V.24). Our songs are to be soul-songs: “My heart overflows with a good theme; I address my verses to the King; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.” (Psalm 45:1). Such worship is deliberate -- not a stench nor racket to God! It is, rather, sweet smelling and pleasant to The King! Turn up the Word -- Hear His grace – Be deliberate in worship!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home