Friday, February 8, 2013

Love Protects

DC wasn’t much of a guard dog -- or so I thought. He may have been a beagle and could smell a pop tart a mile away, but he just wasn’t very smart. I mean, he ran head first into a parked van one time! Whenever I was in the yard, he barked continuously. It is so annoying I usually just gave up trying to get him to be quiet. As soon as I went in the house, he stopped barking! Used to drive me nuts! Mr. Bill brought something to my attention that made me think again about just how "ferocious" DC really was. His constant barking when I was in the yard was his way of warning anything and anybody to stay away ... from me – it was his way of protecting me. Well, that dog was smarter than I thought; he also knew I was the only one that would feed!

God is our Protector, so it only makes sense we should embrace this same characteristic in our lives. The Greek word for charity or love is agape, which refers to affection or dearness and benevolence. Agape type love brings great joy in protecting and providing for those in need. Such love always puts the needs of others ahead of our own.  This love isn't self-seeking, nor does it pursue self-gratification especially at the expense of others. I suppose I've never thought of myself as a protector, but love protects in a world where protection comes with a price.  Who, in this me-first world, will defend the innocent, provide for the unfortunate, and care for the weak? That's our job! Look around and see those who need a protector protected by The Protector!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home