Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New!

A few days ago was Happy Green Day! Yes, that annual wear-green-or-get-pinched day. My pastor declared Sunday we were all safely “covered” by the church’s green metal roof. I must confess, green isn’t one of my favorite colors, but I remember a time when two little boys loved nothing more than a reason to pinch their Mama. St. Patrick did much to establish Christianity in Ireland, building churches and monasteries and converting people. Many legends grew around this great missionary Saint; my favorite is how he forced the snakes and toads of Ireland to fling themselves into the sea. Examining the underside of Mr. Bill’s catalpa tree’s leaves is a horrifying ... I mean amazing ... sight; worms -- hundreds of worms -- numerous worms -- catalpa worms. There was a time when little boys couldn’t find enough zip lock bags for them. I cannot fully express the "blessings" in catalpa worms looking back at me from the freezer! So you see, forcing worms to "fling themselves into the sea" sounds like a great plan to me.

Green, is, however, a gracious Godly color. The color reminds us of newness of life. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17). New – green and fresh as buds on a catalpa worm tree! No sign of the past season's leaves (or worms) -- all new and fresh; a new creation! This is exactly what Christ in His grace and mercy offers ... re-birth, a fresh start when we make a wrong turn or bad choice or when we disobey. Forgiveness! New grace! New! Isn’t that a lovely word!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home