Friday, May 24, 2013

New Knees

The idiom “runs in my family” describes a characteristic or quality familiar among kin-folk. Arthritis is a horrible [often] genetic disease, and it has had wide-spread effect among my family. There are also “abnormalities” we Sustas exhibit, to which [I’m sure] Mom and Dad claim no genetic responsibility!

Nancy Leigh DeMoss tells of her Greek grandmother Yaya’s prayer habits. “My dad’s cousin remembers times when Yaya would be on her knees praying as he went to sleep at night. She was praying for the salvation of her children and grandchildren. On some mornings, he would wake up and Yaya would still be on her knees, having prayed through the night.” Now, those are some good knees! More importantly, that’s a redeemed soul that believes in the power of prayer. I do recall personal periods of prayer for my children, but the diligence of Yaya shames me. Do we not know the belief in and practice of prayer “runs in the family” of Christ? God says we are to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17), and in so doing we follow Jesus’ example for a prayer life. Mark, Luke, and John record Jesus praying privately, for extended periods of time, even through the night. In a few weeks, I’m getting a new knee (whoohoo) but what I want most of all is a heart that kneels regularly and humbly at the throne of grace. Oh, how God’s children need hearts … and knees … for The Father.

I was but a youth and thoughtless as all youths are apt to be

Though I had a Christian Mother who had taught me carefully
There came a time when pleasure of the world came to allure

And I no more sought the guidance of her love so good and pure
Her tender admonitions fell but lightly on my ear

And for the gentle warnings I felt an inward sneer
But Mother would not yield her boy to Satan’s sinful sway

And though I spurned her counsel she knew a better way
She made my room an altar a place of secret prayer

And there she took her burden and left it in His care
And morning, noon and evening by that humble bedside low

She sought the aid of Him who understands a Mother’s woe
And I went my way unheeding careless of the life I led

Until one day I noticed prints of elbows on my bed
Then I saw that she had been there praying for her wayward boy

Who for love of worldly pleasure would her peace of mind destroy
Long the conflict raged within me sin against my Mother’s prayers

Sin must yield for Mother never while she daily met Him there
And her constant love and patience were like coals upon my head

Together with the imprints of her elbows on my bed
And so at last the fight was won and I to Christ was led

And Mother’s prayers were answered
[Because of] her elbows on my bed (Author Unknown)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home