Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Determined

Sometimes you can see determination in someone’s eyes.  I’ve probably had it in my own eyes too, but in more cases than not, these days I prefer the “whatever” approach.  “Lady, you can’t park there” – whatever.  “Excuse me, I was next in line” – whatever.  “Ma’am, this is the men’s restroom” – whatever.  The whatever-approach toward life can be quite a ride!

 

The human will is a powerful entity.  A former slow-pitch softball pitcher, I've watched batters step into the batter's box with a look of sheer determination to drive that ball down my throat!  It was a scary sight!  It is ultimately by God's grace we are able to move beyond what is past to  experience God's kind of victory; there is the element of human will (determination), however, with which we must contend.  Each of us must answer this question: do I continue in my present way or do I choose God's way?  The Prophet Isaiah wrote, "But the Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame." (50:7).  Used throughout ancient history, flint is an extremely hard rock found in abundance in Bible lands.  I recall standing in the desert hills of Judea years ago as our guide pointed to the "flint line," intricately woven and visible throughout the desert sands.  The Prophet Zechariah described the will of those who refused to obey Jehovah as having "hearts like flint." (7:12), which reveals the contrast to what Isaiah writes!  The time-of-decision for each of us comes when we confront personal sinfulness: will it be business as usual or newness of will and heart?  Do not be deceived -- we make the choice every single day, and many times a day.  Joshua confronted an obstinate people, "... Choose ye this day whom ye will serve" then proclaimed his own personal decision "... As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15).  What do people see in your face -- hardness against God, or the determination to live by His Grace?  It's totally your call …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home