Thursday, June 2, 2016

Consuming Ambition

What consumes you?  That’s a tough question: many little things consume my time-energy, but it’s hard to name one overall consuming thing.  If you ask me right now – it’s getting ready for a week at the beach!

 

   A. W. Tozer was an ordinary man driven by an extraordinary ambition: a desire to know God in His fullness.  He confessed to a lifelong friend, “I want to love God more than anyone in my generation.”  Most Christians I know would quickly say “yes, I love God” as I would!  Personally, however, I will confess I do not love Him enough.  Why don’t I love Him more?  I’ve concluded I, as most Christians, are limited in our love for God because we do not know enough about God.  Do we not come to love (or distance ourselves from) others the more we know them?  Of course!  God said, “But let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD Who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 9:24).  What a consuming ambition: to understand and know God.  Remember Mary who chose to sit at The Savior’s feet rather than other things to which Jesus said, “But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:42).  I am convinced my passions are wrongly divided, and it should not be so! The overwhelming one passion, one desire, one intent, one ambition of every Christian must be to know the God of Scripture.  Again, what consumes you?  Will you consider being consumed with the one thing needful?  Know God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home