Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Happy In Him

Sometimes it’s me that makes me happy!  I dearly delight in writing that check to Gladis who comes to clean my house.  It tickles me silly to turn off the next-morning alarm.  There’s incredible joy in a porch swing  rendezvous with Mr. Bill.  Yeah, sometimes it’s just me that makes me happy!

 

A Puritan prayer speaks of the Christian’s pursuit of holiness in the “blessed God, my Father and friend … rather than be happy in myself.”  There’s nothing wrong with the things we do to make ourselves happy; let us be thankful for those moments and provisions.  There is something wrong when we seek the temporal moments of happiness and neglect the happiness of the eternal soul.  The psalmist speaks of El Chaiyai, which in Hebrew means God of my life: “By day the LORD  commands His steadfast love, and at night His song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.” (Psalm 42:8).  Those manufactured moments of happiness – house cleaning, swing dates – are temporal but the God of my life delivers sustainable happiness.  The Christian’s greatest prayer and pursuit must be: God of my life, make it my greatest and noblest pleasure to be acquainted with Thee. Help me fill all my time with Thee and make You my last and only end.  Let me encourage you to be happy … happy in Him alone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home