Friday, January 27, 2017

Strong Feet

Remember playing the game, Twister?  As a teenager, that was a fun party game -- the perfect excuse to get close to Bill and Mama not give me the hairy eyeball!  Boy, could I get in some more knots trying to keep my right foot on red, left hand on green, left foot on blue, right hand on yellow ... and not fall down.  If the older version of me were to try that, someone would have to dial 911!

 

Moses had died, and a new leader was chosen -- a man named Joshua.  God expected Joshua to move right into the steps of a man who had led God's people out of slavery, through the wilderness wandering ... and He expected Joshua to do it with strength and courage.  Here's what the Almighty said to Joshua, "I will give you every place where you set your foot."  This was not a game of Twister; this was all about moving bravely forward and not looking back.  We don't really know what Joshua was thinking, but the Bible doesn't tell of any hesitation on his part. Actually, the first thing it says about Joshua is that he began to order folks around. It seems that Joshua was a "Okay, let's do it" sorta guy. Why is it that we live life like a game of Twister?  We want to leave one foot on red (can't forget the past), one hand on green (worry about the future), one foot on blue (whine about the present), then expect God to keep us from crashing.  "Twisted" better describes life lived this way.  We whine, complain, fret about everything, living as if God just doesn't understand how hard our lives are.  Yet, the promise He made to Joshua is also ours: that He will give us every place we set our feet.  Why don't we believe Him?  It’s time to move beyond "woe is me," stop the frivolous excuses why we can’t muster enough faith in God, and get on with living a life of devotion.  We are "Easter people living in a Good Friday world."  Christ has called us to a life of victorious living – forgetting what is past, making the present count for His honor, and looking toward a joyous future in His grace and goodness.  Let's get off the Twister mat and make every day count for Him! “I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me – I can do all things because of Christ – I can do all things – I can do all things – I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.” (Music and Lyrics by Beverly F. Chandler, 2016). 

 

Dear Lord, I seem to have joy leaks in my life -- times when the joy just doesn't seem to be there.  Help me to stay closer to You in Word and prayer.  May I know the fullness of Your joy every moment of every day. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home