Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Are You Ready?

About the only time I have the television on is in the mornings to listen to news.  One of the commercials I hear almost every morning begins, “Are you ready?”  For those of us who answer an alarm clock each morning, getting ready is Goal #1 each morning.

 

Paul closed his first letter to the Christians at Thessalonica with these words, “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He Who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, ESV).  If He Who calls us will sanctify us, what's the hold-up?  The hold-up is us!  Few of us are really ready -- prepared to pay the price.  And, yes, there is a cost to being made holy as God is holy!  There will certainly be restrictions to earthly passions, departures from selfish interests, a laying down in the dust of treasures, a turning away from lusts and loves.  To the Holy God, holiness is serious and not approached casually or lightly. In [what is called] the Priestly Prayer in John 17, Jesus prayed we might be "one with Him" as He is one with the Father (Verses 21-23).  To be one with Christ is a true setting apart from the world.  I've often acknowledged what hinders my own "readiness" is usually love of my sins – those pet sins!  I must ask therefore - am I ready to be identified sanctified – to lay down that which I hold so dear, made one with my Savior Who laid down His life for me?  Are you ready?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home