Wednesday, September 6, 2017

In Focus

It takes a few minutes to bring morning eyes into focus! The same can be said of our focus on the many needs that surround us.  A poor man, a sick woman and a needy friend all approached a rich ruler, each one turned away with only advice to work and earn what they needed.  In contrast, Scripture teaches, “Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrews 13:16).  Here is God’s directive to care for one another!  We also learn from 2 Corinthians 9:7 “God loves a cheerful giver” – cheerful [in the Greek] means joyous or prompt to do anything. From these two verses, I conclude my best for God is joyful obedience.  If we’re honest, we don’t always give cheerfully; I’m reminded of something I read – God loves a cheerful giver but He also accepts gifts from a grouch. In the humor of those words, I find a key principle: God always blesses obedience.  When I give – even when cheerfulness is absent – there is both a blessing and a lesson: Through obedient giving I learn the precept of joyful giving.  God uses my obedience to bring into focus the joy of giving! Oh, and did I mention the rewards: “Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will repay him for his deed.” (Proverbs 19:17).  Ask God today to help bring into focus the needs around us and the discipline of obedient giving.  Great are our rewards!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home