Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Oh, Joy!

Really now, who doesn’t love a happy ending!  It’s what we really expect in a story, but it doesn’t always happen in life. It’s not clear if David really expected a good ending to his rooftop decision to take Bathsheba, Uriah’s wife, for himself. We see David’s prayerful and repentant heart, however, after the Prophet Nathan confronted him: “I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in Your sight.” (Psalm 51:3-4). Clearly, David understood the offense, the offender and the offended. It’s pretty nuts how we think things are “secret” when they aren’t. The heart God has redeemed (saved) for His own will rightly know – as David did – the presence of sin. Oh but-but-but, the ending is sweet because The Offended (God) is rich in Mercy and faithful to forgive and restore the offender: “Restore to me the Joy of Your Salvation … My tongue will joyfully sing of Your Righteousness … Open my lips that my mouth may declare Your praise.” (V.12, 14, 15).  Oh, joy! Don’t you just love happy endings?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home