Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Holy Happening

Fairly early this morning as he ran past me, I asked Valor, "what's going on today?" In sweet little-boy fashion, he stopped-shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know what's happening today." I chuckled at his response, which was as truthful as it gets - really, none of us know with certainly what the day holds. One certain and continual thing I know each morning, however, is God commands me to meet each moment of the day with His Holiness. His command is plain: "You shall be holy, for I am holy." (1 Peter 1:16). If asked "what does holiness look like," I expect answers would vary; most pointing to lists of honorable abstentions and praiseworthy acts. Noteworthy, but that's not holiness! There is a self-test: "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!" (2 Corinthians 13:5). See, holiness is "Christ in you" - His characteristics of love, peace, kindness, patience, gentleness, self-control, etc. - dwelling in and ruling in you. You won't wake up one morning and declare yourself holy; oh no! it comes by spending time in The Presence of The Most Holy One. Like Valor, I do not know "what's happening" each day but I know what's expected: a humbled and holy heart. That's the only way God's Holiness happens in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home