Tuesday, May 18, 2021

One-Thing People

 A few years ago on my local grocer's shelf was [what seemed] an endless selection of kinds and brands of vinegar ... except the one I needed. In the spiritual realm, this is also true! A wide variation of books line bookstore shelves and an endless scrolling of wisdom and guidance available from online sellers ... except the most needed one. Jesus' friend, Mary, rightly chose to sit quietly as He spoke; Jesus said she had chosen "the one thing necessary" (Luke 10:42).  Oh, my, how I am often deceived by that which seems urgent setting aside what is necessary!  "For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding." (Proverbs 2:6). The Puritan sums up the desire of my own heart: "There is one thing that deserves my greatest care, that calls forth my ardent desires. That is that I may answer the great end for which I am made - to glorify Thee Who has given me being." (Valley of Vision). The one thing necessary, the single most need of my heart is The Father; He must take precedence - the place of utmost importance in my life. Much to my delight, my grocer accommodated my need; added to the selections of vinegar was the one I needed. The wise and discerning Believer knows there is really just one need: communion and fellowship with The Father. Let's be those one-thing people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home