Sunday, May 16, 2021

Glorious Day

Pearl Waddell of Anniston, Alabama is credited with this humorous poem: “There’s nothing
whatever the matter with me - I’m just as healthy as I can be - I have arthritis in both of my
knees - And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze - My pulse is weak, and my blood is thin - But I’m
awfully well for the shape I’m in - Arch supports I have for my feet - Or I wouldn’t be able to
walk on the street - Sleep is denied me night after night - And every morning I look a sight - My memory is failing, my head's in a spin - But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in - The moral is, as this tale was to unfold - That for you and me who are growing old - It is better to say, “I’m fine,” with a grin - Than to let them know the shape we’re in.”  The Apostle Paul contrasts our earthly and heavenly bodies, “For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling … For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened … .” (1 Corinthians 5:2a, 4a).  I recall days when groans weren’t the day's first utterings.  How careful we must be; our longings for the land of new bodies and no-more-groaning rather than the sheer joy of being with Christ!  Paul continues with glorious perspective while still in these earthly bodies: "He Who has prepared us for this very thing is God, Who has given us the Spirit as a Guarantee. So we are always of good courage ..." (5:5-6).  Even in these oh-so-mortal bodies, we have God's Guarantee -- His Spirit, indwelling, empowering, and encouraging us in these present days for a sweet walk of faith!  Yes, I genuinely anticipate a place of no-more-groans because of aches and pains and where Arthur is homeless, but the greatest thrill in that Land of Hallelujahs will be the – The Lamb of Glory! O glorious day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home