Thursday, November 17, 2022

Called to Quit

A key life-lesson I learned from my Dad and can still hear him saying to me when I was ready to quit: "we're not quitters." Several times he [rightly] me finish a commitment. There are some things, however, that true followers of Jesus are ... called to quit: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." (Hebrews 12:1). Laying aside the things that weight us down, i.e. habits and friends that are neither beneficial nor encourage a right relationship with Jesus. "Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus." (Revelation 14:12). Most of us see endurance as a negative and [perhaps] a burdensome thing; committed obedience to God's commandments are not - "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome." (1 John 5:3). I'm so glad for the don't-be-a-quitter lesson Dad taught me; I'm even more glad he taught and modeled before me (and others) ... don't quit on God! Consistently and faithfully leave behind, stop and turn away from things which are contrary to God's commands - we are ... called to quit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home