Thursday, May 11, 2023

The Showing

Although it seems to be fashionable today [at least in some circles], I remember asking before I left the house, "is my slip showing" or Mama telling me she could see my petticoat. Praise be to God, Believers receive a new nature at salvation; nonetheless, the "old nature" shows itself sometimes. Mister Bill calls my old nature "Hester," and trust me - she ain't pretty! How shameful when the old nature rears its ugly head and we shrug, laugh and say "well, that's just the way I am." Paul writes, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?" (Romans 6:1-2). Jesus was tempted, rejected, betrayed, mocked, deserted - all things we face today yet He was victorious over them. He showed us through His life that life-things - anger, discouragement, sorrow, ridicule, etc. - need not feed our old nature nor it reign in us. "We know that our old self was crucified with Him [Christ] in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin." (Romans 6:6). Old fashioned, I guess, but slips and other such under-garments shouldn't show ... neither should my old nature of sinfulness. My prayer is that the nature that faithfully shows itself will be a reflection of the Beauty of Christ and pleasing to The Father. As followers of Jesus, let's pay attention to ... what's showing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home